Preventing CO

Preventing Carbon Monoxide (CO) Poisoning After an Emergency



Generators, grills, camp stoves, or other gasoline, propane, natural gas, or charcoal-burning devices should never be used inside a home, basement, garage, or camper, or even outside near an open window.

? Every home should have at least one working carbon monoxide detector.

? The detector’s batteries should be checked at least twice annually,

at the same time smoke detector batteries are checked.

How to Recognize CO Poisoning:


The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion.

? People who are sleeping or who have been drinking alcohol can die from CO poisoning before ever having symptoms.

? Exposure to CO can cause loss of consciousness and death.

Important CO Poisoning Prevention Tips :


Never use a gas range or oven to heat a home.

? Never leave the motor running in a vehicle parked in an enclosed or partially enclosed space, such as a garage.

? Never run a motor vehicle, generator, pressure washer, or any gasoline-powered engine outside an open window, door, or vent where exhaust can vent into an enclosed area.

? Never run a generator, pressure washer, or any gasoline -powered engine inside a basement, garage, or other enclosed structure, even if the doors or windows are open, unless the equipment is professionally installed and vented. Keep vents and flues free of debris, especially if winds are high. Flying debris can block ventilation lines.

? Never use a charcoal grill, hibachi, lantern, or portable camping stove inside a home, tent, or camper.

? If conditions are too hot or too cold, seek shelter with friends or at a community shelter.

? If CO poisoning is suspected, consult a health care professional right away.

Source of Information:

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Updated – March 30, 2009